How to Be Saved from Your Sins
The most important question we can ask is "What must I do to be saved?" (Acts 2:37; 16:30) All of us have sinned and rightly deserve the consequence of sin, which is spiritual death (Romans 3:23; 6:23). But, we cannot save ourselves; we must trust in God and His grace to be forgiven (Ephesians 2:8-9). Jesus died on the cross for everyone, but only those of us who turn to Him in faith will be saved (Ephesians 1:7; 2:8). Though we cannot earn forgiveness, God does require our obedience (Hebrews 5:9). To come to faith in Jesus and recieve salvation, we must do the following:
- We must hear the word of God (Romans 10:17).
- We must believe the gospel (good news) that God exists and that He sent His Son, Jesus Christ, to die for the sins of the world (Hebrews 11:6, John 3:16).
- We must repent, that is, turn away from our sins and to God (Acts 2:38; 26:20).
- We must confess our belief in Jesus Christ as your Savior and that He is Lord (Matthew 10:32; Romans 10:9-10).
- We must be baptized, that is, immersed in water for the forgiveness of sins (Mark 16:16, Acts 2:38; 22:16). (To learn more about why we must be baptized to be saved, click here.)
- We must remain faithful to God (Matthew 7:21; 2 Peter 2:20-22).
Of course, there is more to being a Christian, but this is how it begins. If you would like to learn more about God, Jesus, and His expectations and blessings for your life, please let us know. We would like to help. Click on the "Contact Us" tab above.